Figuring out what I wanna be when I grow up.
Oop..I AM grown up...


Thursday, September 2, 2010

Jack's Art

My six year old son draws NONSTOP. Two years ago he had such an aversion to drawing, he wouldn't even pick up a pencil. He would get furious if anyone even tried to encourage him to try to draw. I thought his "fine motor skills" would never catch up to other kids his age. Oh boy, does he make up for it now. He draws and draws and draws. We have stacks of drawings--huge piles all over the dining room. His main interests are orchestras and famous violinists (whom I'd never heard of until Jack discovered them on youtube), like Jascha Heifetz, Yehudi Menuhin, and Boris Goldstein. He also loves The Wiggles, and has an eerily diverse taste in music, with a special fondness for British Invasion bands, like The Hollies. So, I'm amazed by what Jack sees, and thought I might share some of his drawings with you. (click on pics for better detail)


The Wiggles ~ "Wake Up Jeff!"

Van Gogh by Jack
The Wiggles
The Hollies
The Hollies







Isn't it interesting the way some people see the world?

13 comments:

  1. Karen I am speechless by his creativity and i hope you do something about it. His talent is unbelievable, incredible and he is truly gifted. WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first violinist has no mouth, which I think is great.

    My fave is the complete black and white one. I would frame that one. Something about there not being much contrast grabs me. The other thing is the long long long legs. They are great.

    You better not throw those out because they might be worth something one day and I am not joking. I am with Pamela all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! The kid freaks me out a little--a couple of months back I said to my husband; "look...he can draw PERSPECTIVE." Holy smoke, it was almost a little eerie. And no worries about throwing them out; I can't seem to part with ANY of them.

    He just drew that all black & white one today. Jack informs me that the violinist is Yehoudi Menuhin.

    Thanks, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. karen, wow is he really only 6? in my humble opinion, he has a real gift. i love the black and white one with the conductor, and the orchastra, matt needs some art for his office wall,this would be cool to blow up and frame. oh yeah get him some violin lessons,stat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Paula :) Well, we actually tried violin lessons with him, but maybe he was too young (4 1/2) and he had so much anxiety anticipating each lesson that it wasn't worth it. We'll have to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first and last are my favourites? He has a knack for spacing, if that makes any sense (I'm not an art critic, so I don't have the vocabulary to describe it exactly).

    I'm glad he waited for his timing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey lard woman, it is lard, lard and nothing but the lard. THAT made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I KNEW IT WAS A LARD CRUST. Damn woman, you're in the GOOD PIE CLUB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Matt, it's like he did wait just long enough to be able to draw things to his satisfaction. A couple of years ago my mom bought him a magna-doodle. He didn't touch it until he was...4 1/2--5? That is the perfect toy for a perfectionist; if the drawing doesn't work out, you just swipe it away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with everyone else that boy has talent!! Wouldn't it be fabulous to get a huge roll of paper and let him draw on it and then hang it around his room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's a really neat idea Lisa--Jack would wreck it though. He's so picky, he'd probably squash it all at some point, or just tear it up.

    ReplyDelete

I lurv comments. Thank you for the comments. They are scrumptious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails