Figuring out what I wanna be when I grow up.
Oop..I AM grown up...


Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Tired Gourmet - Yummy Nummy Chocolate Rummy Spice Loaf

okay, let's try it...

holy freaking good!

why are there pics of me eating this cake...


yes, i've done it again.  I am a genius.

Yummy Nummy Chocolate Rummy Spice Loaf
What a ridiculous name for a cake.  I agree.  Catchy though, no?

You know what The Man likes?  Get your head out of the gutter, we're talking about baked goods here.  The Man is INSANE for a combination involving all those spice-cakey spices (ie; cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, etc) and chocolate.  He thinks it's right on.  He also loves any baked good in a loaf form. I could take chocolate chip cookie dough, bake it in a loaf pan...he'd be happy.  I could probably make a pumpkin pie -- in a loaf pan...he'd be happy. I don't know what it is about the loaf pan, or that combo of cinnamon and chocolate.  Me?  I like cheddar cheese melted all over pretty much everything, but like I said, we're talking about cakes. 

So, for The Man's birthday this year, he wanted some sort of loaf, and not a cake.  Also, I was very tired and supa dupa grouchy on his birthday (aren't I a gem?) and wasn't loving the idea of all the extra dishes baking creates.  PLUS, I didn't feel like making anything too complicated, which involved using my brain.  ALSO, it's moving closer to winter, and I was craving something warm, and festive-ish.  So, lazy plus loaf plus warm plus festive equals one INCREDIBLY YUMMY LAZY BOOZY CAKE!  HOORAY!  I had just made the Christmas cake not too long beforehand, so I still had that dark liquor quality on the brain. 

Remember:  you're lazy, I'm lazy, and together we can make a fantastic loaf--a loaf so great it is worthy of being brought to peoples' homes when all those exhausting holiday parties start rolling. 


LET'S BAKE, LAZY STYLE!

Okay, so you've got a large bowl, a two-cup measuring cup, and a greased loaf pan, right?  Oh, and a separate mug or microwave safe container for melting butter. 


Prep Time:
  I didn't time it.  I was tired and grouchy.  Let me know how long it takes you. 
Serves:  several people, or only a few once you taste it and realise how moist and irresistable it is.

* Preheat Oven to 350 degrees

Dry Ingredients for Large Bowl:1) 1 cup cake & pastry flour (don't whine, just buy a bag.  You can store it in the freezer)
2) 1/4 cup oats (not the ones that take 10 minutes to cook)
3) 1/2 cup brown sugar (not packed)

4) 2 tsp baking powder
(tip:  I usually use a small sifter when adding baking powder or baking soda--those surprise lumps in your quick breads are GROSS)

5) 1/2 tsp salt
6) 1/4 tsp nutmeg
7) 1 tsp cinnamon
8) pinch cloves (literally, pinch some of the ground stuff between your finger & thumb)
9) 1 cup chocolate chips

Combine it all together.

In your measuring cup:1) 1/2 cup molasses

2) 1/2 cup spiced rum (regular rum is fine too)
3) 1 egg

4) 1 tsp vanilla
*5) 1/2 cup melted butter, in a separate mug or other microwave-safe container


mix all wet ingredients, except butter, together loosely in your measuring cup (I never stir the egg up too much, but enough so it's 'broken')


Make a well in centre of dry ingredients.  Add moist ingredients.  Add melted butter.  Fork together quickly till just blended.  Pour into your greased loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until loaf has slightly separated from sides of pan, and a knife/toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes in pan before removing to a plate or wire rack. 

Even I couldn't stop eating this crazy little loaf, and I think the spice/chocolate combo usually is overrated.






 

9 comments:

  1. Sounds good Karen. I have to make this. Ray loves loafs too.

    I love your photos you look great. Love your hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you are taking it to a party that you would rather not be at...put more rummy in the nummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Pam, that's closer to my natural mop. Yes, I was pleased with this creation. The rum and molasses made it really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good thinking Paula! I actually wanted to make it with whisky, because it's nummier, but Jon said rum was better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to ask if it was still good without the Rum, but now I'm intrigued by your offer of Whiskey.

    Honestly, though, I'm a cookie monster more than a loaf artist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. who knows--I haven't tried it without the rum. Don't people put rum in everything around Christmas time??? I hardly ever choose rum drinks, but it made the loaf yum-o.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we were wondering if you were still suffering from bieber fever?we request a new post please... even kieran wants one kejresdev fcjmwjvfjmfkq,nf c ndd. see?

    ReplyDelete
  8. dammitt people, I'm sick! Have you no decency?!

    that was funny about Kieran by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the record, that was Paula only on the last comment. I can speak for myself, thank-you.

    Never EVER do I take a joke too far! lol

    ReplyDelete

I lurv comments. Thank you for the comments. They are scrumptious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails