There's one meal I make more than any other when I'm all by my happy lonesome. I concocted it myself even, and it involves TOMATOES, which everyone else here but me complains about bitterly:
Oh waaa, tomatoes are yucky! Ew, I don't like the seeds.
Honestly--if you can't like a gorgeous, glossy, red, sweet, summer tomato, plucked sunshiny-warm from my sister's garden, then truly, you are dead to me. Oh! Did I say "DEAD TO ME?" Well, that's a tad harsh, isn't it!
I stand behind what I said.
Anyhoo, we all love junk food. We'd all prefer to just boil up a hot dog when we're alone. We all lurv hot dogs. Wieners are the shiznit. We know this. But, sometimes you have to treat yourself like the amazing person that you are, so why not make something that's EASY, but nice, because you frigging deserve it!
Remember: you can make it any way you like. Or hell, you don't have to make it at all. You can have more, or less tomato, more or less balsamic vinegar, more or less (or none) parsley. You get the picture.
karen's Pasta For One
- Whole wheat spaghetti. How much is a serving size? Who is the magical wizard who always knows how much freaking spaghetti makes a serving? Not I. I wing it, so I end up with less than a cup of cooked pasta. ANd don't freak that it's WHOLE WHEAT. It still tastes yummy, and it's better for you.
- One fresh, ripe, gorgeous tomato, cored, diced, and tossed with:
- One teaspoon of Balsamic vinegar
- Half teaspoon of salt and pinch of brown sugar (adjust vinegar, salt and sugar to taste). Stir occasionally as you prepare the other ingredients.
-. 1/4 cup (or more, or less as desired, or omit) flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese chopped into small dice
* Make tomato "salad" as indicated above. Stir occasionally.
* Boil salted water - Add pasta and cook for approx 9-10 minutes, or less if you like very al dente pasta.
* Coarsely chop feta cheese
* Chop parsley
*Drain pasta and toss all ingredients together in your serving dish.
*Pour yourself a friendly glass of wine in the good crystal that you got for your wedding (after you rinse the dust off)
The sweet, tangy "sauce" created by the tomatoes mixed with the vinegar, paired with the salty feta and the hardy pasta makes me freak out.
And see? Nobody's here to see you CHOW DOWN. Nobody's here to tell you you have parsley in your teeth, or that you shouldn't eat all that delicious feta cheese.
Now tell me: what's your favourite meal to make for yourself when you're all alone?